Let's take a closer look and start with the history of Node.js.
- Open source. Node.js is an open source platform. This means that the copyright holder has granted various rights to study, edit and distribute the software to anyone for any purpose.
- High scalability. Node.js is highly scalable and helps the server in a non-blocking response.
- Speed. Since Node.js is built on V8 engine, its libraries are able to execute a code faster.
- No buffering. Node.js is endowed with a special function, meaning it does not buffer any data.
- Single threaded. Node.js can follow a single-threaded model that helps a single user process more than one request.
- Asynchronous. Node.js has asynchronous libraries so its servers do not need to wait for the API to send a response and move on to the next API.
- Npm package manager. The important part of Node.js is Node.js Packet Manager that is installed with Node interpreter.
But still, the main feature of Node.js is the event-oriented approach, that is the execution of programs is determined by events. This approach greatly simplifies the programming of some applications, especially when implementing a convenient I/O interface, like Node.js.
With the spread of social networks and other "interactive" sites on the Internet, the demand for Node.js as a platform for applications that respond to user actions has grown sharply.
The technical features of Node.js make applications based on it lightweight and efficient and this fact also explains its huge popularity.
How the platform is used.
Most often, Node.js is used when writing web applications with intensive I/O, such as web servers. Node.js is popular for creating real-time applications: chats, communication programs and games. Many applications have both server and client parts.
It is worth noting that in some cases the use of this platform is not the best solution. E.g., for programs with voluminous computational processes.
In general, Node.js is a mature platform where many problems have already been solved and the best approaches are known and described. Every year it is gaining momentum and there is no reason to rely on something else in the next years.
Here in JSN we successfully use Node.js platform to develop web applications in various areas.
Share your idea and we will select the optimal stack of technologies and tools that are ideal for the implementation of your project.