Website creation involves not only programming, but also a detailed analysis of the project, cooperation with the client and the search for solutions to achieve the intended objectives.
What is technical specification for?
Based on TS, the project is assessed - its level of complexity, timing and cost are calculated. At this stage, the development team often encounters difficulties in making the most accurate estimate, because it is not possible to predict with 100% confidence how much time and money will be spent.
However, the more detailed TS will be initially written with minimal modifications afterwards, the more accurate the projection will be.
Let's figure out the kind of information technical specification should contain.
- Information about the company and target audience, goals and objectives of the website.
- Technical requirements for the layout and website operation.
- Requirements for adaptivity on various devices and OS, website resistance to loads, security technology.
- Description of the technologies used and a list of hosting requirements.
- Detailed map (block diagram) of the project, detailed structure of the website.
- Prototypes of pages or descriptions of elements that should be on them.
- Website functionality.
- Allocation of responsibilities for content creation.
- Design requirements.
- Database architecture.
Using a correctly drawn up detailed technical specification, you can:
1. Save time and budget. The more detailed the requirements and instructions are, the easier and faster it is to implement them.
2. Guarantee the result. The document records all the work, and therefore an unscrupulous performer can be brought to justice. The customer can evaluate the work of the company, compare the parameters of the website or application that were approved in the assignment with those that have been received at the end of the project.
3. Improve the effectiveness of cooperation. While creating technical specification, the customer and the contractor stipulate all important points, which allows to look at the situation from the other side and avoid misunderstandings.
Very often there is a need to take into account new information discovered in the course of work on a web project. In such cases, tech specs can be refined, corrected with amendments and additions. It is important that in the minds of both the customer and developers, a common vision initially arises, to which the team will strive during the development process.
Thus, there will be less misunderstandings in the course of cooperation, and fewer risk factors will arise. In fact, technical specification is the foundation for the further development of the entire project. Working on it is important for optimizing work processes, for reducing time and financial costs later and, importantly, for establishing mutual understanding between the customer and the contractor.
Who develops technical specifications for the website.
TS can be created by both the client and the performer, but one way or another, creating it is a two-way process. Developers have the skills and experience to think over the design of technical components of the websites, and the customer has the necessary competence in the required industry.
Often customers experience some difficulties when drawing up a technical spec and in such a case they can contact the contractor to get help.
There are times when a potential customer does not want to deal with the preparation of a technical task, considering it a formality that takes a lot of time, but if it is needed to get an effective and high-quality result which will match the initial idea, then it is the best start that can be.
Correctly drawn up TS is the key to success of every project!